Saturday, February 23, 2013

Cover Design Mistake

Cover Design
Publishing is a new and challenging thing for me. there is a big learning curve, puctuated by not having done this before, reading zillions of "helpful" blogs, books, articles, and online hints.
I now know what to do about writers bloc (never had it)....picking a subject matter (not an issue).....connecting with the entire world wide web  (why would I want to? ) to name a few. Almost everything that is published is so basic it is meaningless, or it is written for a total novice.

I am going about this the same way I learned how to design...shop the stores...look how people finish their garments... decide what appeals to me and what doesn't....and make a few mistakes!!! Unfortunatly since this is my one book and it is important, I prefer to not have it as a mistake.

Creat Space designed several book covers for me. I gave them ideas, and they basically copied them....so that eliminated anything remotely creative. Additionally the designer was color blind. Also, a book has three parts- The Front Cover, The Back cover, and The Spine. Their designers seemed to have forgotten that the spine should be readable......so, after being depressed, I asked my friend Robin to help.

She came up with a great design....Happy, Powerful, Colorful and Engaging. The only probelm was that I forgot to tell her that the photo I wanted to use was circa 1917- so the brownie camera edge she used didn't work-

Back to the drawing board......Stay Tuned!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment